Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mortality

As I begin my seventh decade on planet Earth, I am increasingly reminded of my own mortality. Every day, I watch the news and scan the Internet only to discover that another famous person has been translated from time to eternity. Even more surprisingly I often find that a friend, relative or acquaintance is no longer with us.

Of course, this gives me ample reason to pause, reflect and assess my own life. What have I done? What am I doing? Where am I going? 

All very important--even vital--questions. 

Several years ago, I found myself in the hospital with a severe and life-threatening leg infection. Harmful bacteria and invaded my bloodstream. That required the use of some industrial-strength antibiotics and a 10 day stay at the hospital. Ten days alone --flat on your back and looking up--gives you a lot of time to think and reflect.

Back to the questions. Allow me to answer them.

What have I done?: Not enough I'm afraid. As I look back, I see many wasted years in the rearview mirror. Thankfully, it is not what I have done that matters. It is what has been done for me. Jesus Christ lived a perfect life and imparted his righteousness to me. He died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead for my justification. He has given me eternal life because I placed my trust in Him.

Next question: What am I doing?: I'm spending as much time as I can telling others about the grace of God and the love of Christ.

Last question: Where am I going?: My next stop will be heaven. Not because I deserve it. I don't. Quite the contrary. Only God's limitless grace has made this possible. Only the blood of Jesus could cleanse my sins.

Now, Some questions for you: What have you done? What are you doing? Where are you going? 

"What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." (James 4:14b ESV)

1 comment: